Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cooking 101: Rubbish Potatoes

Image Source: my kitchen.

Just like any other person who is undergoing physiotherapy and who accidentally hurt the same foot which was healing, thereby causing a nasty, bloody bruise which caused swelling all over again, I boldly ventured into the kitchen yesterday to make myself something to eat as I was hungry and I was also reveling in my new found mobility.

Now I believe it is of paramount importance to not delude yourself.
Therefore, knowing that the culinary dept. was not one of my strengths, I decided to make the simplest dish known to man a.k.a baked potatoes. Let me categorically state that it all began well and I was successfully able to skin and cut the potatoes while ignoring the mild throbbing on my foot.
Emboldened, I proceeded with what can only be described as "great enthu".

After following my mother's instructions thus far, I forgot her instructions on how to set the oven and place the potatoes in them (refer 25 things about me- point 17).
Playing by ear and going along with the flow, I made some (later revealed as nowhere in the vicinity of the ballpark) guesstimates and pressed on. I waited for a bit. The throbbing was mildly irritating and so I sat down and started dreaming and salivating in anticipation of my meal to come.
It was at this point that I smelt something burning. Hastily, I got up. A sharp shooting pain in my foot due to recently acquired wound made me plop back down again completely unable to get up.

Realizing I was in rather a predicament, I somehow managed to switch off and open the oven with a walking stick. Only to be greeted by a charred sight (refer pic. above).
However, I believe in taking responsibility for one's actions and ate the potatoes after removing the charred bits and coating what was left with some rubbish "lemon-drizzle" dressing.

Just for the record, I offered it very kindly to other human beings who refused after grimacing.
Yes, they all grimaced. Every single one.

25 comments:

Idling in Top Gear said...

Paavom :)Better luck next time.

And when your leg heals, you might wanna check out Ranjani's blog (from my blogroll.) She's got some easy to make recipes and who knows, you may learn to boil water without too much trouble. :)

Anjana R said...

@Idling
Thanks. :)
But more than a food blog, I think a site on how to improve one's memory might prove more fruitful.

P.S-Dubious as it may sound, I can boil water. I believe that is the first step required in order to make tea.

Liberal said...

we all start small! I have had so many culinary mess-ups that I automatically empathize.

Varun said...

Hahaha... Brilliant stuff! Slightly burnt potatoes taste good actually! Not sure about the degree of burn in case of your potatoes though ;). Looking at the grimace it must be 3rd degree burns :D

witsnnuts said...

The best way with food in life is to let somebody cook & point out some fake defects, after enjoying it. ;)

Tc .. Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

To those people who grimaced? They were just jealous that your food had 'character'. Not straight out of a book. I am great at this character-filled food :P

Chiju said...

@SRK
Kudos! :) The best suggestion!

@Anjana
Cooking is Kitchen chemistry! Just imagine this as one of the trips back to the salt anlaysis days where you never realised what you are doing!

Anjana R said...

@Liberal
ah good to know. :)

@Varun
lol. yes I agree slightly burnt stuff does indeed taste good.(lot of experience on this.) Plus I learned out of necessity to like slightly burnt stuff. :P

@Wits
It was the other way round in this case. :)

@foreigndesi
haha. what fun is anything without 'character'? ;)

@SRK
yes, that must be it.
and ive never been a fan of maggi. (i know milk chocolate, jeans, coffee...) im weird that way.

@Chiju
Ironically, I was always good at salt analysis. :)

iissarayu said...

A cow refused to eat a cake I made. I had even named her Lakshm, and she ran away and never came back to my house after I offered her my cake.

aandthirtyeights said...

This might help, yes?

Karthik said...

Reminds me of my first shot at cooking which turned out quite disastrous. Fortune only points the way up from here :)

Anjana R said...

@iissarayu
hehe :)

@aandthirtyeights
Thanks, but I prefer Idling's suggestion. :)

@Karthik
Yes, it can only get better. :)

aandthirtyeights said...

But I'm an expert. Really.

Gradwolf said...

Hahaha, you still managed to eat those? Brave of you!

buddy said...

i fried eggs once. and i live to tell the tale

all the best!

Cynic in Wonderland said...

ah yus. sounds familiar.

Anjana R said...

@aandthirtyeights
arre yaar thats wht everyone says. :)

@Gradwolf
Yup. Every single one. Like I said, we must take accountability for our actions. :D

@buddy
hehe. Good to know I have hope. :)

@Cynic
Clearly, im not alone. :)

SD said...

Lol! I like the way you write!

'We can only learn after we make mistakes'...or is 'Once bitten, twice shy' more like your character. Choose one. :P

Better luck next time with the baked potatoes! (I don't know how to prepare them either!)

Anjana R said...

@Shweta
Haha thank you! Glad you liked reading it. :)
as for choosing-perhaps a little bit of both? :P

dharmabum said...

hey, potatos are so easy!! but well, practice helps and i know it :) one thing though - it is very sportive of you to blog about it.

Kaushik said...

Sorry for an unrelated comment, are you the Anjana from PSBB Main belonging to AC's batch? If I remember, that Anjana and a Gayathri were good quizzers too.
Sorry if you're someone else. :)

Anjana R said...

@dharmabum
thankyou kindly :)

@Kaushik
Nope sorry to disappoint. I went to another P.S but that was in Mylapore. I must admit though I'm into quizzing too.

Vyazz said...

Awwww...too bad....its allright...we all have our cooking accidents......I'm back in India after six years in Russia, and the one thing I dont miss is cooking(though I was rather good at it)....aaahh to be over and done with it.....

Anjana R said...

@Vyazz
Good to know you have been in the same boat. Thank you for your kind words. :)

Perception said...

Hope you get well soon. And talk about burning food, sometimes no matter how many times I check the oven, look at the watch and walk from kitchen to living-room and back, I still manage to burn the brownies, hmph!